Here is issue #048 of our newsletter, where we collect news and tools that we find interesting for your Rails project.
1. Gradually Migrate from Paperclip to Active Storage: An overview of our strategy to migrate the attachments to Active Storage for one of our recent clients 🚀
2. Rails 7 replaced byebug with ruby/debug: A look at how we can use the new Ruby debugger tool. 😎
3. How to Reduce Memory Bloat in Ruby: A look on how we can prevent our Ruby application from blowing up the memory 🙏🏻
4. Ruby 3.1 allows value omission in hash literals: The new Ruby version will come with a shorthand syntax for Hash literals.
5. What to do about bloated Rails Active Record models: Tactics for addressing the problem of bloated Active Record models.
We hope you find these links useful. Feel free to forward it to your friends! ;)
Have a nice week!
* Already on 6.1? Check out our Stay Up To Date service so you can be ready for Rails 7.0.
We are hiring! 😎
We are looking for a Ruby on Rails Engineer interested in joining a fully remote and collaborative team. Come work with us!https://ombulabs.com/jobs
Meet Our Team Members!
Fiona Lapham, Software Engineer
OmbuLabs: Why did you decide to become a developer?
Fiona: I decided to become a developer because it was time for a career change. I used to be a chef, and once I had kids I knew that lifestyle was not going to work anymore. I started thinking about what else I like to do, and I had always been interested in websites and how they work. I took a few online classes in Ruby and was hooked! After that I took a lot more classes, and then got a job at OmbuLabs. It’s the best job I’ve ever had.
OmbuLabs: What do you like most about OmbuLabs?
Fiona: The team. I enjoy working with and being around everyone at OmbuLabs. It’s such a fun environment to learn and grow.
OmbuLabs: What is a personal thing you would like to share about you?
Fiona: I have a random talent for spotting four-leaf-clovers, in fact I found one yesterday!
OmbuLabs: What is the most interesting thing you've learned while working for us?
Fiona: I have learned so many things, it’s impossible to say.
OmbuLabs: What do you like to do when you're not working?
Fiona: I love to hike, garden, read fiction, cook elaborate meals, listen to audiobooks while I go jogging, and play with my kids. I love anything to do with nature and being outside. Before the pandemic I loved to travel and go scuba-diving. I also like to play some computer games, growing up Myst was my favorite.